Friday, 8 March 2013

Bev's intro blog


Hello Liz, Emily and Kathrine

Here is my first blog to introduce myself which is a little difficult as I’ve just written one for Professional Issues and I’m now trying to make this one different.

I’m studying MIM part time and I’ve just started my second year so still have some way to go. Over the past years my work background has been in agricultural policy development focusing on natural resources and climate change but decided that I wanted to move on and see if I could find a challenging library / information management position.

So I have had a change of career direction and for the past six months I have been gaining great hands-on library experience and I am now working as a library tech casual with Northern Melbourne Institute of TAFE. This practical work experience is just what I needed to combine with my MIM studies – it really is ‘adding value’ to my studies.

I have a Business degree (majoring in management) and studied the library technician course (many years ago) at the Western Melbourne Institute of TAFE while I was managing the photo library for an agricultural newspaper.

I am looking forward to learning the more techy side of information management as Web 2.0 gets mentioned a lot (ie recent library tech interview I just had) so it will be great to be more on top of what’s involved and how it can be used effectively in a library.

Thanks

Bev


Friday 12 April 2013

John has asked me to be a bit more explicit about my goals so I have fleshed out my statement in the above intro blog.

My goals are to:
  • Gain an understanding of the scope of Web 2.0 and learn what role these tools have in our everyday personal life and why they are so popular
  • Learn in more detail the technical elements of a number of the more popular tools
  • Contribute or experiment with these tools and report my findings (in the relative security of this course)
  • Determine how these tools can be applied and effectively used in a professional IM environment

4 comments:

  1. Thanks Bev - nice introduction.

    I'm really glad to have people in our buddy group that have real time/hands on library experience, as this is something I don't have. I'm interested in your views on how what we learn in DocMan1 can be applied in a professional library environment (which, incidentally, is one of my goals in the course).

    Hey, and three cheers for people who make a career change! I'm in the same boat - so I'm right behind you on that one.

    I like your blog so far - it's clean, simple and easy to read. I know a bit about blogging and tweeting etc. so happy to share this knowledge as we progress in the course. That said, the more I learn, the more I realise I've only started to scratch the surface...

    I suspect it will always be that way where technology is concerned, and I guess that's half the fun.

    Blog on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bev,

    It's really good to hear about your background and that you are getting some really good work experience. I also think it is fantastic that you are moving in the direction that you want to work in.

    I'm looking forward to getting on top of these web 2.0 tools as well. One thing I have noticed about them is that it is quite easy to work out the basics - I guess they are made to be user friendly for all levels of users. It's when you want to do the "fancy" stuff that it gets a bit more complicated! But we'll work it out - I'll make sure I pass on any tips I come across.

    Thanks,
    Kathrine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just been catching up with the multitude of tweets I decided to follow - why did I decide to pick so many?!! Think I'm going to have to cut back a bit and stick to the relevant library ones. Ie. I had to check out what was happening on The Block before I read the British Library tweets.

    Just read an interesting article on how the British Library has pledged to support university libraries suffering financial constraints. Article is about making sure there is access to the library for those undertaking research. There was an interesting comment from the BL CEO who said that the library was not “moving from physical to digital” but “moving to physical and digital”.

    I've attached the address if you would like to read it - I was going to make it a hot link but I'm yet to work out how to do this on blogs - even if it can be done...

    http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/news/british-library-pledges-support-to-university-libraries/2002424.article

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Bev!
    Yeah me too re Twitter - I signed up to many silly people just to get my allotted number so I could move on in the signing up process.

    Have you figured out linking yet? I can do it in a post (its the little icon where all the formatting junk is that says Link - click on it and you type the word(s) you want to stand in place of the URL in to one box and then the URL into the other box. But in the comment section....mmm....not sure....

    but i've just found this

    This will show you how to do it

    and here is me linking your article -

    British Library article

    Its actually really simple but I'll never remember all the >>>" etc that you need so I guess bookmark this?

    See you tomorrow!
    El



    ReplyDelete