The technology blog site I chose to read and subsequently
review is Roy Tennant’s blog Digital Libraries.
Roy is the Senior Program Officer for OCLC Research and the blog is
located on The Digital Shift website.
The website explains that The Digital Shift is published by
the US based Library Journal and School Library Journal and covers technology
issues.
Roy posts chatty but very informative discussions on his own
personal interactions (or frustrations) with the latest technology. It is a good place to learn not only about
new technology trends but how he went about solving problems.
In one recent blog he provides a rather honest declaration
in how he has changed his mind when recommending that librarians should learn
HTML. At the time he felt that all librarians needed to understand this web
page program language.
However, the poor sales of his book advocating the benefits
of HTML to librarians sold poorly and he ultimately recognised that librarians
were not going to throw themselves into it – and confesses that maybe he was
wrong and professionally librarians are getting along quite well without developing a programmers in
depth knowledge.
How interesting! HTML looks like gobbly gook to me so I'm not sure I'd be too upset if I wasn't required to have an in depth knowledge of HTML language. I am, however, happy that we are covering it in Doc Man 1 in our second assignment so that I at least don't look mystified when anybody asks about it. I've had an embarrassing interaction with an academic at work when he realised I had no idea what a HTML article that I just sent him was.....ops!
ReplyDelete