Wednesday, 3 April 2013

New topic added to Diigo collaborative discussion group


I’m continuing to expand my technology use and skills and this week I contributed to our work collaborative discussion group on Diigo.  Diigo is described as a social bookmarking website by Wikipedia and I believe it is similar to Delicious (which I am yet to explore).  To me it seems similar to Yammar where the library staff post topics for discussion.  I have to do more exploring to find out what else Diigo can do but I must admit because it is a work discussion group I am somewhat careful as I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing (ie I haven’t linked a topic to a website as yet).

This discussion group is only available to our library staff and you have to be invited to join.  So for privacy reasons I haven’t provided a link to the site and have had to add in an image (below) of my new topic so you can see what I have done.  Fortunately I have used Paint before so didn't have too many problems converting a print screen into a jpeg.

The message I included was about Penguin removing its embargo on making ebooks available to libraries – which I thought was a pretty good discussion item.  I’m looking forward to reading the responses from our library managers and their thoughts on the expansion into ebooks in the future.

I've just made an edit to this post as I realised the attached image was too small to see properly so I've made it extra large - which is better.

My Diigo topic - Penguin lifts library ebook purchase embargo


5 comments:

  1. Hi Bev,

    Thanks for posting about Diigo, it was one site on my list of things to discover but I ended up joining Delicious, although after taking the Diigo tour, I think I've made the wrong choice. Diigo seems to be more user intuitive than Delicious (I've made that assumption just by the site tour that Delicious doesn't have). I like the fact that you can highlight as well as bookmark sites and it can be done in a collaborative manner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diigo!? Delicious!?! I've never heard of either of them before!

    I just did a quick Google and checked them both out. Are they really as good/useful as they say they are? I'm not sure I really 'get' it yet. Are they different to RSS feeds because they are also social?

    Wacky.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job Bev getting some uni stuff to translate to your working life!
    Sounds like what you bookmarked was really relevant.

    I second Liz on the 'I've joined Delicious but Diigo looks way better' front.
    Why don't we look at both of theses bookmaking sites as a group?

    E

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ellen I like your suggestion! I wish we had some more time with this assignment - there's still so much to learn. Especially with social bookmarking, I feel like we've really only just scratched the surface.

      Bev - another really useful post on Diigo. I like how you're helping me to see the professional application of some of these tools. Social bookmarking etc. is not something my work has ever considered, so it's great to hear about your experiences.

      Delete
  4. Hi Bev, Great work on Wikipedia, you made a substantial contribution to that article. And you’re investigating a few other new tools too. It would be good to hear more about your experiences with them in future postings. Perhaps some more explicity goals would be good too. John

    ReplyDelete