Saturday, 13 April 2013

Some reflective thoughts when re-visiting my neglected Twitter account


I must admit out of all the new tools I’ve tried out this semester, Twitter has been the one I have not taken too.   

Possibly that’s because I can’t see it being taken too seriously in a professional working environment – but then again maybe I just haven’t given it a really good go.  I really didn’t like many of the short, abbreviated messages – most just simply didn’t make a lot of sense or seem worth tweeting...

I did sign up to a number of what I considered professional sites Library of Congress, NMIT, NY Public Library, National Library of Australia and the British Library and for something not so library focused – our Prime Minister. Plus our group too.  I did have a lot more but realised I was being bombarded and felt swamped by them so deleted the less relevant (ie The Block, Stephen Fry – what is he on about??!!).

I’m just making a re-visit to my Twitter site after some weeks of neglect and counted up the number of tweets I sent which was a grand total of five – not very impressive I realise but then I hadn’t signed up to many sites that made me compelled to respond or re-tweet.  Except maybe the PM when she re-tweeted a tweet from Wayne Swan (or Swanny as was his address told me) which was totally inane - and I felt this deserved a response but I held my tweet and didn’t do it...  Sorry but all politicians fail to impress me.

To show you how boring I like my tweets I’ve added in some below – they are short, sharp and to the point and (to me) show effective use of tweets in a professional IM environment and if I’m interested I can follow up easily.

I know if I’m going to use this more I’m going to have to learn to filter a lot better than I do and simply try and not read them all. Like all tools a bit more practice is needed...

The following show effective use of tweets in a professional IM environment;

Celebrate Drop Everything and Read Day! Kick off National Library with books recommended by @NYPL staff. http://ow.ly/k0Hc9

Subscribe to the @NYPL Now! Programs newsletter for the latest events at the Library: http://ow.ly/k08R3

Shakespeare Week! Join us for a special series of lectures in April honoring Shakespeare. Starting April 15: http://ow.ly/k08xQ

New project to digitise Bihzad masterpieces. See @BLAsia_Africa #BLog: http://bit.ly/YPrGbA

A bit like 2001: A Space Odyssey: article on the @spectator blog about archiving the internet #digitaluniverse http://bit.ly/ZaKotK

1 comment:

  1. Twitter is like marzipan: it's not for everyone.

    I agree that sometimes the tweets feel pointless; there are so many of them, many of which do not make much sense. I'm guilty of this myself and can only imagine what my measly 24 followers think when I'm tweeting stuff during the ISYS1166 lectures....madness.

    That said, I like the tweets you've pulled out in this post. The NYPL is an excellent tweeter generally - whoever is responsible for managing that twitter account is a gem.

    Anyway - good to have learnt a new tool, even if it's not something you warmed to and want to use again. At least you know how to do it and could do it again in professional environment if ever the need arose.

    Nice work :)

    ReplyDelete