For our Groups Google Docs collaboration I had a closer look at Diigo as I wanted to find out a little more on what this social bookmarking tool can do. I haven’t used many social bookmarking tools before apart from my recent go at adding a new topic into my workplace’s Diigo discussion
group (see previous blog on this).
My first attempt was fairly restrained and I only pasted in a news item
and added tags but I wanted to look a little more closely into the uses of
Diigo.
First thing is everyone seems to pronounce the word Diigo
differently – I believe it is supposed to stand for ‘Digest of Internet
Information, Groups and Other stuff’ - and is pronounced ‘de-go’.
At the start you will need to do the usual thing and set
up an account which will enable you to start saving material (images, docs, notes etc) into My Library. You
will also have access to My Network – this is where you may choose to follow
someone. I had previously set up an
account but at present I don’t have anything saved in these as yet - I'm working on it. However I do have my work places discussion group
saved under My Group though.
The introductory video provides a good overview of what Diigo
can do and seems to do an incredible amount and it is continuing to expand.
The tool has evolved from a simple bookmark
and tag tool into one that you can highlight key passages, add stickynotes with
comments, attach you own notes, documents and images.
All your bookmarked items are stored on the
Diigo cloud and therefore you can access you account and items from anywhere. It
can be used on Android, ipad, iphone mobile hardware and uses Firefox, Chrome
(recommended), Internet Explorer and limited access on Safari.
This is a great tool for study and professionally (I can see why work uses it). You can bookmark web
pages and add comments and access them when you need too via the cloud.
As usual with these things some time needs to be spent on using the tool
(and learning the jargon) to really gain a full understanding of how you can best utilise all the features.
Google Docs collaboration
Our group also had a Google Doc collaboration where we added in comments on various social bookmarking tools. I have used Google Docs previously and have found this a very handy tool to use - especially when in a group situation. This definitely gets a big tick for professional IM use.
I've attached the link below to the document but I have also included my discussion on Diigo above and Twitter in a separate post.
Google Doc discussion
Bev it's been great to read your thoughts on Diigo, both here and in our shared Google doc while I'm thinking about how Diigo fits into my Web 2.0 universe.
ReplyDeleteYou point out that Diigo's ability to highlight text in websites to be saved and to allow a stickynote means that it has evolved from a simple bookmarking tool into something more sophisticated and has bypassed Delicious in this regard is something I totally agree with!
Its much better than Delicious in this regard!
I found it interesting that your work uses Diigo. That makes me think that this could be an excellent professional collaborative/communicative tool that will be adopted by many information management professions. Monash Uni library where I work does not use this (or at least not in the section that I work in). It would be interesting if we did - I'd definitely learn more if my supervisors/ hed of department shared links of interest to them relating to their professional life.
I also agree that you do have to spend some time working out Diigo's functionality (and thanks for the pronunciation tip!)
Good work.
E
I agree with Ellen, this was an interesting entry on Diigo, thanks Bev. I have been so taken with Delicious, I sort of skimmed over Diigo, which from your write up seems to have more functions. I like the idea of highlighting, adding sticky notes and attaching your own notes/media. You've got me thinking, maybe I shouldn't have been so quick to judge re the Delicious/Diigo divide? I might look into it a bit more.
ReplyDeleteBlog on!