Tuesday, 2 April 2013

Trials and tribulations of EndNote

Hope you're all spending your break time constructively and getting in a bit of Web 2 technology experimentation - or just a bit of blogging and tweeting...

I've just spent sometime this afternoon downloading EndNote on to my PC at home without too many problems - not that I had many problems with my laptop either. Still going through the instructions (via blackboard and EndNote) at the moment to see if I can get my own library up and running - but I'm still having problems with the sample library on blackboard. Must admit this is (once again) a learning curve for me and is a work in progress - but something I want to get right if I'm going to be able to use it properly now and into the future.

Anyone else ploughing through EndNote or have you got it conquered??!!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Bev,

    I haven't tried downloading that sample library, will give it another go and see if it works. I was able to add my own library though, and added some citations to it. I had a wonderful Easter break, just trying to catch up with everything now!

    Kathrine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello hello

    I haven't gotten much further than where I managed to get to in our Prac last week. That said, I am going to give EndNote a RED HOT TRY this week one evening after work.

    It's also quite a learning curve for me. Though I knew about EndNote during my undergrad, I always managed to avoid it and just do manual footnoting. I can totally see how useful the software would be if you had a large research piece or if you used it over the course of a degree, Masters or what have you...That is, if only one put in the effort and started building up a library etc.

    Anyway, therein lies the sticking point. However John did rather convince me in our Prac that even if I don't end up using it, as a librarian it's probably something I will need to know about, even if it's just about being able to share that knowledge with others.

    So, in that spirit...I'll knuckle down in due course.

    Glad you managed to get your's up an running at home. That zipped file issue thingy you and Kathrine were experiencing during the Prac was irritating.

    Blog on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ploughing through Endnote = no - more like gently tapping at....

    But EndNote seems great! I still have a way to go with learning the ins and outs of it. I didn't use it in my undergrad either - but I should have because it would have been very useful!

    How did you go with it?

    E

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm - to your question Bev:

    Safe to say I have not conquered EndNote - it just looks slightly less foreign to me now!

    Small steps.

    ReplyDelete